Sunday, June 3, 2012

Foxes I & II

I

I want a baby fox for Christmas, Mother--
a red pup curled at the foot of my bed
to yip at the snowflakes and passing squirrels.
His tail would wrap beneath my nose as
he perches on my shoulder while
I study in the Den.  I know the fox
is not a pet but Mother please
I cannot be appeased by a dog or cat
I want a baby fox for Christmas to sleep
at the foot of my bed.

II


a wolf pup plays
with a fox pup plays
with a boy pup plays
with a gun and then learns
how to aim and then seeks
out the fox boy he seeks
out the wolf boy he takes
careful aim then the boy
sees the eyes of the fox

of the wolf boy then whistles
his hound boy he stumbles
to see through the fog
in the woods then the boy
leaves the farm and the hound
for a far-away land
boy he carries his gun
through the jungle and steam
boy he aims at the boy,
boy he takes proper aim

oh the boy shoots the boy
and his bleeding wound drips
boy the boy drops his gun
and the boy dies in vain
and the boy with the hound
and the wolf and the fox
is a man is a man
is a man is a man.  
yes the boy is a man
in a far-away land
he has blood on his hands
now he's back on the farm
now the boy has a boy
yes the boy who's a man
has a boy of his own
and his boy has a hound
sees the hound boy a fox
bearing pups and a wolf
boy a wolf bearing pups
boy that boy sees the wolf
and the boy sees the fox
and he says to his boy
"boy those pups are your kin"
says the boy to his dad
with a glint in his eye
he says "why father why?
why are animals kin?"
says the boy to his boy
"son we all of us die,
boy but some of us kill"
and the boy saw his dad
with a glint in his eye
and the boy was a boy
and the fox was a fox
but the wolf was a wolf
boy and all of them pups.

3 comments:

Iman said...

Oh my goodness! II! looks like you may have a promising career in the rap game.

care said...

wonderful blue

Unknown said...

sweet

About Me

All poetry is supposed to be instructive but in an unnoticeable manner; it is supposed to make us aware of what it would be valuable to instruct ourselves in; we must deduce the lesson on our own, just as with life. -Goethe