Friday, February 12, 2016

Waiting at the Free Throw Line

I am the shallow God pausing heaven
To check a message online.

I am the divorced magnate that
cannot stop earning to be served.

I am the balding talent scout
whose envy guides his pen's stroke.

All lettuce should be green or tan.

I am a mortal rubber band
stretched around infinity.

I am tired of the lying eyes
of nightclerks and valets.

I am an auto wreck of dismissal

overturned eighteen wheeler
buried in a drift.

We don't float on:
no toll, no passage.

The corner inverts itself
to put out your eye
if you gaze too long.

Habeas corpus; show me how
to find where my body ends.

I am trying to redirect the flows 
that are too natural for broadcast.

I am the declawed cat batting
at a flimsy mouse of yarn.

I am the damp-pitted night manager
whose footsteps ring out dread.

I am a battery
soon to freeze to the lakebed muck.

This is all to say:
Anyone can make a scene,
anyone with talent can make a song,
but all time left on the clock won't come off to see you win it.

No comments:

About Me

All poetry is supposed to be instructive but in an unnoticeable manner; it is supposed to make us aware of what it would be valuable to instruct ourselves in; we must deduce the lesson on our own, just as with life. -Goethe